Our church history began on January 19, 1954 when five families met to discuss the possibility of beginning a Southern Baptist work in Wenatchee. They made contact with Quincy Baptist Church, which later became the sponsoring body. They met in a home on Furney Street, one of the homes of those families.
Reverend Vernon Chambliss from the Quincy church came and spoke to the group, and it was decided to start Sunday School and worship services the following Sunday afternoon with Reverend Chambliss preaching. After two meetings, it became evident that the home was too small, so three rooms in the Consolidated Freightways Building were rented. A few weeks later the meeting place was changed to the Women’s Christian Temperance Union Building.
The first pastor, Cecil Sims, was called on May 7, 1954. The original name of the church was Calvary Baptist. It was organized on June 20, 1954. There were 56 charter members.
In July 1954, the church purchased 2.5 acres of land on Red Apple Road. In August 1954, the name Wenatchee Valley Baptist Church was chosen for the church. Retired contracter Arthur Terry was employed as the construction supervisor. During the building stages, missions were started in Leavenworth, Monitor, Chelan, and Brewster. Membership passed the 400 mark in 1968, and also that same year, 58 members started a Mission in East Wenatchee, which later became Eastmont Baptist Church.
The building on Red Apple Road was sold to Central Washington Hospital and five acres were purchased on the corner of Okanogan and Crawford. Work was begun on a building in 1981. The first services were held in the new multi-purpose brick building in November 1982.
Wenatchee Valley Baptist Church currently enjoys the blessing of years of significant ministry. The church is looking into the community to reach people for the purpose of sharing the love and grace of Jesus Christ.